Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Bear

I’ve seen quite a few bears on my travels. I met several interesting bears on the streets of Berlin, and Vancouver almost seemed to have one on every other street corner. Of course, I’ve also met many, many, people in the cities that I’ve been to. But I have never met a person, who was also a bear. Until now, that is.

I do know it has happened before. The person who founded the city of Berlin was also called “The Bear”, but he lived a very long time ago. I thought maybe there was something special about things long ago, and that this sort of thing just didn’t happen anymore. I was wrong.

On my latest trip to Montreal I met "The Bear". He was a person, but everyone kept calling him “The Bear”. My traveling companion often invites me to join him for dinner when we are traveling. Sometimes I agree, but usually I’d rather explore the city on my own. But this time, when he asked me to join him for dinner, I asked if “The Bear” would be there. When he said yes, I instantly accepted. We went to a lovely little restaurant, with a very brave waitress. She agreed to have her picture taken with Bernard Bear, and Martin “The Bear”. Not many people are that brave.


I wonder if I’ll meet “The Bear” again on another trip.

B

No comments: